Friday, April 22, 2016

Nature

Running is a beautiful sport, both figuratively and literally. The fact that essentially the whole world is our track can be amazing. Everywhere is our playground (except for the ocean, highway, and railroads, but you know what I mean). The Earth is a spectacular place, and running gives you the time and mindset to appreciate the beauty that is the nature around you. Notice how the trees you pass everyday on the trail will change colors as the seasons change. Notice the little squirrels that scurry in front of you between the two cherry bushes. Notice the sun rising along the lake if you ever get the chance on an early morning run. Nature surrounds you as you run, which can provide a welcome break from the monotony of the white walls of the indoors.
Often times I struggle to notice these things as I run, I am more focused on the fact that I feel like I am slowly dying on the inside. I found though, that the more I focus on the things around me as I run, the more I become distracted from my inside feelings of discomfort. This allows me to settle into a more comfortable pace that is efficient and what some runners call the “sweet spot”- the spot where you feel comfortable running at a fairly speedy pace and can relax your breathing and begin to feel refreshed and peaceful. Concentrating on nature and regulating my breathing helps me to get to this place and reach the sweet spot, though of course this is no full-proof remedy.

I love that I get to participate in a sport that is not confined to the indoors or a certain court or field. Though I often complain about the elements impeding my racing success or frankly making me miserable, I enjoy experiencing the full spectrum of Iowa weather and learning to adapt to all the elements! So go out and enjoy all that nature and running has to offer! (I know, could I get any cheesier?)

No comments:

Post a Comment